BlogAntidepressants: Miracle or Disaster?
The world just spent 16 billion dollars for antidepressants in 2022 and at least a 7% growth is foreseen for the coming years. But how did we come to this point in 70 years, after the first official introduction of these drugs in 1950s? Are we really entering an era of mass anxiety or are we just choosing the easiest way? Before going on, let’s simply look at what an antidepressant medicine mean.
What is an Antidepressant?
They are drugs that are mainly used in the treatment of clinical depression and sometimes for sleep disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety disorder and post traumatic disorder. The aim of such treatment is to permanently end the problems of extreme unhappiness, exhaustion, burnout and restlessness caused by the disease. In this way, the person’s anxiety decreases, exhaustion, burnout, reluctance and restlessness disappear and they can return to a more balanced state of mind. Although these drugs are thought to be particularly effective in people with moderate to severe depression, they are also prescribed for mild depression in the presence of certain conditions (such as a history of more moderate to severe depression, anxiety disorder or pain disorder).
How do these drugs work against depression?
You will be surprised by the answer but nobody exactly knows. Scientists observe which changes they make in our moods but only have a guess about the exact mechanism. General belief is that these drugs increase serotonin and noradrenaline which are transmitting agents. In this way, mood of the patients get better. Therefore, physicians strongly recommend that they shall be used besides classic therapy. But in reality, only too little of us spend time and money for face to face treatments.
What are the side effects of them?
As with any other medication, some side effects may occur with the usage of these chemicals. These side effects may vary depending on the type of the drug used and your personal differences. Side effects of antidepressants are mostly seen in the first few weeks. The most prominent side effects are
- Dry mouth
- Problems with sexuality,
- Weight gain
Do we really need them?
We can compare these drugs to food. If we can prepare our own food at home it will be exactly designed for our needs and we will know what we are eating. If we do not have the time for or knowledge about cooking, we will have to look for a quick solution outside, like a fat-full hamburger and a cola drink. We can also prepare our own ways for depression relief, which can be exercise, a more social life, meditation and etc. However these all take time and we the modern man don’t have much of it.
It is not possible to tell that antidepressants are useless because sometimes we need instant solutions for our psychological problems no matter what the side effects are. But in the long run the best solution is the one that we know how to prepare by ourselves or with minimum help. So we can at least offer you to follow your doctor’s advices if you are prescribed with psychotic drugs. Here is how:
Things to consider when taking antidepressants
- Be a hundred percent honest to your doctor about your complaints and feelings.
- Frequently forgetting to take your medication or ignoring the regularity with which it should be taken can negatively affect the potential improvement from the antidepressant. Therefore, you should take your medication regularly at the doses recommended by your doctor. Do not increase and decrease the dosage by yourself.
- Tell your psychiatrist about any medications prescribed by other specialist doctors, because these medications may interact with each other.
- Do not reduce or stop taking your medication on your own because of side effects, talk to your doctor.
- Do not use such drugs recommended by acquaintances. This can seriously damage your health.
- It is not recommended to drink alcohol while taking medication. Be sure to tell your doctor if you believe you will have difficulties with this.
- You may feel worse in the first few weeks after you start taking the medication, but this will usually go away on its own. If you feel that your depression is getting worse after a period of time, it may mean that the medicine is not working. The same applies if the symptoms of depression decrease for a while and then suddenly start to get worse. Restlessness, restlessness, feeling out of control can also be a sign that things are not getting better. In these cases you should contact your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not decrease after a few months of taking the medication, this may also mean that the medication is not effective. In this case, you should not neglect to consult your doctor.
How to prepare your own organic therapy?
Our bodies have miraculous mechanisms which fight back against both physiological and psychological problems 7/24 and the closest therapist to you is again YOU! And also, depression increases gradually in most cases. So if you see basic signs of it, be proactive and change the way you live for relief. Leave back negative social relations, be more active, eat a well-balanced diet and get enough rest. If you still feel down and think that you need help, visit a psychologist instantly for simple solutions. If you wait and let your mood get worse, you may reach a state when antidepressants are the only solution.